Tuesday 18 March 2008

Tattoos - Body Modification

I cannot wait for week 8's class - Tattoos. I think it will be an interesting one. I do like tattoos but sit on the fence with some things. Personally, I love to see a tattoo on a strong, muscly defined arm. I also like to see a small tattoo on the base of a spine. I'm not a fan of some tattoos though. I saw a rather large lady crouched in a shop the other day and even though I tried not to look directly, it was rather hard not to see the tattoo across her back, her huge backside and her orange thong!! There was absolutely no need for that and there was noting remotely attractive about it!

I do think that tattooing is an art though and it is very skilled and delicate work. The attention to detail is amazing and I could quite happily sit for hours studying all of the detail in some of the tattoos I've seen whilst researching the subject.

The one tattoo that always stumps me though is the teardrop tattoo. Does anybody out there know what the true meaning is? I've heard lots of stories as to what it really stands for, such as the person has spent time in prison. Some say it symbolises a life you have taken and others say it represents a loved one that was murdered. I have read In Australia, it means you're a child molester - the lowest of the low in the prison population. The tears symbolize the abuse child molesters are going to suffer at the hands of other prisoners.
In the United States, they used to be gang symbols for the number of murders committed, but now they're more often used to symbolize loved ones who died while the wearer was in prison.

The only other thing I have to say about tattoos is, although I do like the majority of them, there are some truly distasteful ones, and, in my earlier days of caring for the elderly in my first ever job, I cared for elderly tattoo bearers and they really do sag and look totally different when your skin has aged and stretched!!!

Does anyone out there know what the meaning of the teardrop tattoo is??? It is something that has always intrigued me.

No comments: