Thursday 20 March 2008

Being Too Religious

We have a lecture coming up about being too religious and I'm not sure what to make of it. I sit on the fence with this subject, I think. I personally do not believe in god as I believe there is way to much suffering in the world for there to be a god. I also believe that the bad go unpunished and the good suffer in the world we live in. I would never ever begrudge anybody their beliefs though and understand that some people live their lives in a good christian way.

Although I do not believe in god, I live my life in a way where I try to do the right thing and think of others.

It doesn't tend to bother me really but I don't like being preached at. It makes me feel uncomfortable to have somebody preaching their beliefs to me in a town centre. It really annoys me that I have people knocking on my front door to tell me about god. I am 26 years old and know where to find god should I feel the need! Isn't he all around us anyway?

There are also a couple of people on Home and Away at the moment called Geoff and Annie. They are very religious and I find it very uncomfortable to sit and watch them being all gushy about god! It makes me feel queasy. If people have beliefs fair enough, but I don't go up to a big believer and shove my views on god in their face so why should they do that to me? Now, Dot Branning in Eastenders is very religious but her approach is shown as more humourous and does not make me feel uncomfortable at all. She just quotes chapter and verse at the end of every sentence!

I was christened but that was my parents choice for me and not made by me. We haven't christened our daughter as we would like her to choose her faith if any. I have thought about taking my daughter to church to give her the opportunity of seeing a faith. As I say, I may not be a believer but would be willing to take my daughter to church and would always support her without prejudice whatever her beliefs.
Does anybody in our group believe in a religion/faith?

No comments: