Friday 2 May 2008

Module Evaluation...The end is nigh!!

I have now finished my blog and have done all that I can do in the pursuit of an A grade! I now have to complete a module evaluation in the shape of a questionnaire, which is below. I hope that anybody who has read my blog has enjoyed it, and would like to think that I will continue with a blog after this module has ended, as I have really enjoyed it!

Age?
26 (27 in 4 days time!)

Sex?

Female

What is your degree subject (both if joint)?

Social Care & Social Policy

Does ‘Being Bad’ relate well to the other modules you are taking?

Sort of in a broad way!

If so, how? And if not, why not?

I suppose it kind of related to the philosophy module I have recently finished called critical thinking, as the being bad module encouraged you to be open minded, and perhaps think differently about certain subjects, and to come of out your comfort zone on your opinions

Have you found ‘Being Bad’ too demanding, too easy, or at an appropriate level?

I've actually enjoyed this module more than any of the other 7 that I have done so far! It is certainly not easy as the blog in itself is time consuming. The grading criteria to get an A for the blog is 20 posts and 5 comments. With all of those posts you have to research your subject, include a picture, include a link, and then read everyone else's blogs to find something to comment on!The 20 posts is very time consuming to do this, and has been an almost daily maintenance! The two other pieces were OK to do too!

Do you think the list of topics covered on the module was appropriate?

Yes. They are all classed as bad behaviour to a certain extent so they were all relevant

Are there any topics not included in the module that you would like to see included?
Prostitution would be a good one, and if we are looking at bad behaviour in every day life, perhaps a class on abuse or domestic violence, which would certainly raise awareness and provoke discussion, as it is a hard subject for most to comprehend, and domestic violence is very common. Serial killers would also be great to look at, especially seen as though I have a morbid curiosity in devouring as much detail as I can about them!!


Do you think that the format for classes has worked well?

I think so for the most part, but some of the constant chatter was annoying at times

What did you think of the module team?

The module team were all good. I particularly liked the teaching style of two of the module tutors. The guy that did bad cinema was good as he took no messing from the class and everything was relevant. I also liked the guy who did the outlaws and bandits lecture. Although a lot of the bandits were way before my time and I would have liked to have seen more on modern day gangsters, the tutor seemed a lovely guy who was very approachable. The class that particular week were very rude and at least 15 people walked out. Talking was really loud and the bloke looked really embarrassed. I thought he was a great teacher who in the face of a lot of disrespect, did really well in presenting what he wanted to say. I was ashamed that week on behalf of all of the disrespectful people in the room, and think the man deserved a medal for his patience, manners and presentation. With the lady, Meena (I think?) I struggled to hear her as she wasn't very loud, and I was sat at the front, but to be honest, all of the tutors were good and were all confident in what they were teaching us (Another rant at the ignorant people in class I know, but I'm entitled to my opinion on my own blog ain't I?)

Do you think it would have been better to have had more:
Small group discussions?
Discussion and debate among the class as a whole?
Information and talk from lecturers?

I think the group discussions are a better idea as when there were small group discussions, they lasted far too long and the majority of them weren't even relating to the topic of that weeks lecture! The information and talk from lecturers was good, and anything that I missed or needed further clafication on was on wolf anyway.

The approach taken in the module is interdisciplinary (drawing on perspectives from English Literature, Film Studies, Creative Writing, Philosophy, Religious Studies, Media Studies and Politics): do you think this a useful way of approaching the topics covered in the module?

Yes, because the module needs to appeal to students from all courses. It was broad ranging and incorporated every day life topics too, so, although I cannot speak for everybody, i found it quite versatile in who it related to

Do you think that interdisciplinary modules are a good idea?

Yes because in every degree, there are cross-overs with Politics, Philosophy, English etc, so it gives you a bit of a basis in most subjects, and may even highlight a subject area that perhaps you would wish to pursue at a later date

Do you think you have benefited from the interdisciplinary approach taken in the module?

Definitely. I enjoyed the whole module and have found some information to be beneficial in other areas of my study, especially in the critical thinking module

Would you like to see more modules that cover this kind of subject matter?

Yes. If all modules were like this one, I would be in my element! It is a much better learning style for me and appeals a lot better that stuffy lectures with boring essays at the end of it!

Are you planning to take the follow-up module PH2004 ‘It Shouldn’t Be Allowed’ at level 2?
Unfortunately not as it was not on offer on my course guide, so I have already selected my modules for next semester. If the workload wasn't so great in my other modules though I would do this one for fun as I've enjoyed it immensely!


Would you recommend ‘Being Bad’ to a friend?
The answer to this one is evident! A resounding YES!!!

Do you think that the blogs (web logs) were a good idea?

I have absolutely loved it and am going to be gutted if I do not get my A grade now!!! I have put a lot of time and effort into it and have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. It was slightly difficult to think of loads of different subjects to write on...it's a good job that we live in such a bad society that supplies us with ideas! I wish all modules allowed blogs! I'd be enjoying my degree a lot more if they did!

What did you think of the other assessments (e.g. would it be better to have one longer assessment rather than two shorter ones?)?

I quite enjoyed having the option of being able to choose what type of work I submitted if I'm honest. I enjoyed doing the creative writing piece although struggled with my rationale to accompany it. The rationale criteria was vast and 300 words was not enough to cover all of the criteria that we were given to work to. I also enjoyed the essay. I didn't find the two pieces too demanding due to them both being short and submitted them both early, so it is certainly manageable!

What have you learned from the module?

That I am open minded and virtually unshockable! I've also made some great friends along the way which is a bonus.

What parts of the module have you found most useful and why?

I've enjoyed every part of it. None of it is useful information as such, due to these types of bad behaviour being in the media eye on an almost daily basis, but it is all good to know, and the classes were great in give us debating skills! Our social policy module encourages debate and I find it a really interesting skill to have...to be able to debate, argue logically, and listen to other poeple's opinions!

What parts do you think were a waste of time and why?

I don't really think any parts of the module were a waste of time. There were no particular subjects were I turned up and wished I hadn't! Some of the people in the room were a waste of time, purely because they had no interest in listening to the lecturer, but their loss, not mine! I don't want to expand too much further on this point!

Are there any other comments you wish to make regarding ‘Being Bad’?

That I have really enjoyed the module! I hope that for future reference, these questionnaires are put to good use, especially the feedback on what we thought worked and didn't work. That would be great for future students of the module.

No comments: